Given the niche the EFL university carved for itself in the field of higher education both at the national and international level, the EFL university has always been attracting and accommodating students from all sections of society and this scenario is no different with respect to persons with disabilities. At present, 60 students with disabilities are enrolled in various programmes for whom, the university has already initiated a slew of schemes and facilities and a few other measures are in the process of implementation to ensure a comfortable and fulfilling stay for persons with disabilities on the university campus.
In January 2012, the university established the Cell for the Disabled to look after all issues pertaining to persons with disabilities and the Cell has been attempting to launch several programmes.
COMMITTEE FOR THE CELL FOR THE DISABLED
- Ensure a barrier free access to all buildings of Offices, Departments, Libraries, Hostels, Guest houses and Parking areas.
- To ensure appropriate hostel accommodation on the ground floor for all students with disabilities.
- Ensure that there is no discrimination in the University on grounds of disability.
- Provide relevant assistive devices, laptops and digital recorders to all students with disabilities.
- Set up resource centres to address the needs of students with disabilities.
- Provide all course materials in accessible formats like braille, text and audio for students with vision impairment.
- Provide wheel chairs and trycycles for severely Orthopaedic persons.
- Provide counseling for employment and organize placement drives.
- Conduct Orientation courses on information technology, communication skills, Disabilities and Law for instilling sense of independence and confidence and for imparting employable skills.